With help and feedback from certificants, regulators, and employers, NBCOT completed a practice analysis study that resulted in the development of the award-winning NBCOT Navigator®.
Navigator is an online tool suite designed to help OTR and COTA certificants assess their competency across all areas of occupational therapy. Certificants can complete the tools to earn Competency Assessment Units (CAU) toward certification renewal, develop their occupational therapy knowledge and skills, and stay current in their practice.
View Navigator tool descriptions and assessment objectives for the OTR.
View Navigator tool descriptions and assessment objectives for the COTA.
Check out the video below for an in-depth look at how Navigator can enhance a certificant's competency.
States Accepting Navigator
Units earned through Navigator are accepted by the following states for licensure renewal (contingent upon any additional state-specific requirements).
Contact us for more information about adding your state to the list.
- California (Navigator tools accepted with the exception of the Self-Assessment.)
- Connecticut (NBCOT online competency assessment tools appear to meet criteria established in Connecticut General Statues and the Regulations.)
- District of Columbia
- Iowa (NBCOT online competency assessment tools appear to meet criteria established in state's Administrative Rules for Continuing Education.)
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Utah (NBCOT online competency assessment tools appear to meet criteria established in state's Occupational Therapy Practice Act Rule.)
- West Virginia
- Wyoming (contingent upon fulfilling all other state-specific requirements)
Regulator Approval Form for State Reactivation
Download the State Reactivation Handbook for more information about state reactivation.